Thursday 28 March 2013

Scrivening


I'm experimenting with Scrivener.   For those who aren't familiar with it, this is software designed to assist writers with the task of writing.    I'm a few days into the free trial and already convinced enough to purchase it (which I have in fact just done).

The big selling point for me is the organisational features.    For novel writing for instance (and Scrivener has templates for other types of writing too) it is very easy to divide a project not only into chapters, but into scenes within that chapter which can be written individually and then - importantly - seen in a file card on corkboard layout that allows them to be moved around and tinkered with.    For someone like me who has an idea of the key milestones of the novel I'm working on this has proven invaluable - I can put those milestones down formally (heck, even write some of them in advance) and then see very clearly and dynamically what goes where and what needs to be done.

There's a lot more to it than this, and I'm enjoying finding it all out.   Does anyone else reading this use Scrivener or similar & what impressions do you have of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment