Thursday 11 April 2013

Arid Conjuration


When the days are endless dreary, and the nights are long and dry,
And the shape of what you have is dark, unclear,
It’s there beyond the eye of mind and hiding, God knows why,
And never to be finished, that’s the fear
When you yearn to walk the path again, to blaze a brand new trail
But your feet upon the way are stuck and mired
When each moment is a torment, in despair that you will fail
And you want to walk the path but you’re so tired

Each second that is passing, it will never come again
And every word unwritten is  a crime
There’s lives that need their telling, in their triumph and their pain
Each moment’s silence spends their precious time
The doors seem to be closing, and the light is failing fast
And the pallid desert’s barren on the screen
But I’ll walk the path, I’ll walk it, till the desert I have passed
And all the things that could be, all have been.

10 comments:

  1. I really like this, especially the last lines. I have only recently tried out verse. I want to be you when I grow up.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Katie, when you grow up If you’re me, who will I be?
      I think that you will put me in a jam
      Despite all of the practise that I’ve had at this you see
      I’m bad enough at being who I am

      Glad you liked it - and thanks for following me.

      Delete
  2. Usually I dislike posts about how difficult it is to write. Only because of their endless supply. But this is terrific. I like it a lot for the open interpretation, and indirect attack. I read it a couple of times and each time I liked it more. Do you enter challenges? I like them for the exercise and feedback. Check out http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/ - a great community, if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Stephanie - and I agree about the potentially maudlin and endless resource that is "Oh no I am having trouble writing" - normally I wouldn't be so self indulgent, but the feeling is very sincere at present (chapter four of novel, first draft, and my characters are glaring at me sullenly and refusing to play) and more importantly a couple of lines of verse that fit the situation popped into my head and the rest of the poem demanded writing around them. I'll take a look at the Trifecta site now - thanks for the suggestion

      Delete
  3. I feel like this a lot. You put it much more civilly that I have as the muse sits idly by. And I agree with Stephanie, Trifecta is a great pusher of the mental muscle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly seems to be - I tried one of their 33 word challenges and I'm looking forward to more of them

      Delete
  4. Thomas are you in this room with me...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought my hiding place was a good one. I will try harder next time. :D

      Delete